Vacancy Head of Master’s Program in Landscape Architecture
The Amsterdam Academy of Architecture is one of the leading design academies in the Netherlands. We offer education and research at master level in the three disciplines of architecture, urbanism and landscape architecture (MSc). Particularly notable is our educational model: the so-called competitor model, in which students work and study at the same time. Additionally, the (partially) interdisciplinary educational offer is one of the pillars of our educational vision. The Academy forms an inspiring, international community of 350 students, approximately 35 permanent employees and approximately 350 guest lecturers each year, from the (international) work field. The academy is part of the Amsterdam University of the Arts (AHK) and is housed in a monumental building on Waterlooplein in the heart of Amsterdam.
As per September 1, 2022, we are looking for a:
Head of Master’s Program in Landscape Architecture
who is willing and able to commit to the Academy and its educational vision for approximately two days a week for four years.
What are you going to do?
As Head of Landscape Architecture, you help determine the course of the Academy. You give direction to our education from the active role you take in the current landscape architecture debate, and you are the face of the landscape architecture course. You manage the thematic and substantive content of the entire curriculum and you are ultimately responsible for the programming of design education (the projects).
In addition, together with the Head of Architecture and the Head of Urbanism, you are responsible for the (interdisciplinary) design studios at the interface between architecture, urban design and landscape architecture. From the network of the Academy and your own network, you connect the content of these design studios with teachers from the professional field.
In addition, you play an important role in the final assessments of the projects, the annual exams, graduation, and you conduct conversations with students concerning their study progress. Teaching is not part of the position.
Education is concentrated on Fridays and two evenings a week. We expect you to be present at least on Fridays and occasionally, for example for final presentations by the design studios, discussions with students and graduation ceremonies, to come to the academy on other evenings of the week.
Who are you?
- You have a love for landscape architecture, you have extensive work experience in the field and you are considered to be a leader in it.
- You are very well aware of the (international) developments within the spatial domain and of the important (social) developments that are relevant to the field of landscape architecture and you can translate that knowledge into the teaching of the academy.
- You have an affinity with sustainability and you see and feel the urgency of the questions facing the field.
- You have an extensive network within the field of landscape architecture and beyond and you want to use that network for the academy.
- You have an affinity with and/or knowledge of architecture and urbanism.
- You feel addressed by the teaching (model) of the Academy (see www.bouwkunst.ahk.nl) and you want to strengthen the current position of the academy.
Additionally, we think it is important that you recognize yourself in the following:
- You speak both Dutch and English.
- You have an affinity for and/or experience with the competitor model and the interdisciplinary and internationally oriented education of the Academy.
- You have an open and accessible attitude with an interest in the learning process of young aspiring professionals at a master’s level.
- You have experience in guiding and coaching people in their professional and personal development.
- You enjoy working together within a small, informal organization and you have a colleague, student and teacher-oriented attitude.
- Of course, you have a completed master’s degree in landscape architecture.
Who are we?
The Academy of Architecture consists of a small team of permanent and temporary employees. Within the Academy, we strive for an inclusive learning and working environment that forms the basis for quality, new ideas and creativity. Students, lecturers and employees must feel welcome and seen at every level of the organization and be given the space to develop their talents. Attention is paid to this in the study programme, the composition of the student and teacher groups as well as in the team. If you can contribute to this development, we are curious about your ideas.
We are building a sustainable future. The Academy signals an urgency: many tasks related to climate change, water issues (rising sea levels and floods), the circular economy and circular construction, and declining biodiversity (to name just a few challenges) are complex spatial tasks. . The Academy also sees it as its responsibility to provide future generations of designers in the spatial domain with the necessary knowledge and skills to be able to play a significant role.
What do we offer?
The Academy of Architecture offers a pleasant working environment centrally located in Amsterdam. The position is classified at scale 13 (minimum € 5,193.85 maximum € 6,326.17 gross per month for full-time employment, excluding holiday pay and year-end bonus) and good secondary employment conditions. Appointment and remuneration take place in accordance with the collective labour agreement for higher professional education; the classification is partly dependent on work experience. This is a one-year appointment with the prospect of extension. If you come to work at the AHK, we will ask for a Certificate of Good Conduct (VOG) upon commencement of employment.
Do you want to know more?
You can apply by sending your application/motivation letter and CV to Sanne Blok before 15 February 2022, via email@example.com.
The first round of interviews will take place in the first week of March. Depending on the measures taken by the national government at that time, the conversations will take place online or offline.
Do you have questions about this vacancy? Please contact Madeleine Maaskant (director of the Academy of Architecture) at firstname.lastname@example.org, she will be happy to answer your questions.
Would you like to know more about the Academy of Architecture? Check out our website and read more about the programme(s), research, the educational model and the (international) community at www.bouwkunst.ahk.nl.